Hospital Bahagia located in Tanjung Rambutan, Perak is the largest
psychiatric hospital in Malaysia and it is the secondary and
tertiary referral center for the northern states of Malaysia. Tanjung Rambutan
was first identified as a suitable location for a federal lunatic
asylum by Dr W.F. Samuels in 1910. He became the first medical
director upon completion of the hospital in 1911.
The entire hospital then consisted of three male wards and one
female ward, separated by the hospital kitchen. The hospital was
renamed the Central Mental Hospital in 1928 after the medical and
nursing facilities were upgraded. The name was changed to Hospital
Bahagia Ulu Kinta in the 1970s because of the negative connotations
associated with “mental hospital”.
Due to the scarcity of mental healthcare services in those days, a
community psychiatry unit was established. Hospital Bahagia staff
conducted psychiatry clinics at public places such as churches,
community halls and temples. This led to the establishment of
peripheral psychiatric clinics that operated regular office hours
for patients whose homes were more than 30km from Hospital Bahagia.
The easy availability of these services meant patients could stay in
their own homes amidst familiar surroundings while receiving
Follow-up services for stable psychiatric patients in primary
healthcare centres in Perak began in 1997 in an effort to
decentralise mental healthcare services.
Type of treatment available at Hospital Bahagia included:
• ET Counseling Psychotherapy
• Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT)
Hospital Bahagia Facilities:
• Convenience Stores
• Multipurpose Hall
• Soccer Field